Wednesday, April 2, 2008

The unassuming slob...and goodmail.

Since the beginning of the year I have toiled in my home to make it a happier, more organized home. With each new project I found that not only did I feel better about life, but my mind became clearer to the things I was missing. Thoughts of taking some online courses, writing daily, reading and researching, and making a 30 day menu for our family are coursing through my mind. My ability to relax has taken me from uptight always organizing - to calm order (most of the time!). I am feeling that I now am in control, where my home used to control me.

You would not assume by looking at my home that I was messy. My front room was always clean and well put together. My kitchen, although not perfect, looked clean and organized and my bathrooms were always clean. However, stay with me and you would have seen a house that was always overflowing with laundry, unorganized spaces, bins for stuff to go back upstairs, bins to go back downstairs. The list goes on and on and I finally had enough.

The first thing I did was purge, throw away, and get rid of - and we all know I got rid of a lot of stuff! The space behind closets and under beds became uncluttered which translated into more storage room for the things I really needed. I've realized recently after putting order to the girl's room, my getting ready area, and clothes closets that it was my highest traffic areas that were the most in need of an order overhaul. Paying close attention to these spaces was the turning point for feeling like I accomplished some part of my goal this year.
Starting every Wednesday, I would like to write about the things I am doing to create order in my home, life; and to focus on my word of the year. It is so exciting for me to see myself transition from a disorganized to organized women - it's quite the feeling! I have a lot of work ahead before I can feel like I've accomplished my goal. Here are my previous posts about order:


I would also like to put in a great thank you to Natasha for her beautiful goodmail gift she sent my way. The cards are beautiful and I just love them! Also thank you again for all you wonderful comments about the girl's schooling. There attitudes are so completely different than two months ago - it's a shame I didn't move them earlier! I've met several people this week where this subject came up - it just goes to show how much we think about our children. Thanks to Kristi for her very creative Easter card!




How are your goals and word of the year?

11 comments:

Monica M said...

I had a hard time with all the paper clutter, like mail , school papers and such coming in. My sister-in-law recommended a small bin by the phone for filing stuff like bills, church, pictures, coupons, recipes and a file for each child. This bin is in my kitchen because my office is downstairs (hello too far to go every second). This really helped me stay organized because I would get stacks of papers that overwhelmed me. I use it a lot.

Holly said...

I am so proud of your reflection and your steps toward order. It's such a big task, that can seem overwhelming, but bit by bit progress happens. Give yourself a big pat on the back! Your experiences have inspired me to work on some areas needing order around here.

What fun good mail!

I still have not committed to a word, but I DO think on it occasionally. :)

Amie said...

I will look forward to your posts each Wednesday. I feel the need to do some of this cleaning/purging as well. I know so many areas of my life would improve if I would begin by decluttering the "things" - thanks for the inspiration.

Laura said...

I just spent the afternoon tossing box after box of useless stuff that we moved from one house to the other. I saved it because I always thought...I'll use it someday. I just decided to toss most of it though because it was cluttering my life! Feels good.

Marie said...

It sounds like my home. I have a fairly put-together looking house. I keep up on making beds, washing dishes, and cleaning the bathroom, but there are perpetual zones of disorganization that just never gets done. Every now and again, I'll tackle one and I'll wonder, "why didn't I do that months ago?"

Way to be!

Amanda said...

I go spurts with the organzing/purging thing. I'm do for another go round. It feels so good to do it, and then keep it up! Congrats to you!

Joanna said...

Thanks for the inspiration to be more organized! I used to be very ogranized, but now I have a 2 year old, and I babysit my 1 year old Niece 3 days a week. I don't think anything stays were I put it, they are ALWAYS getting into something. I just need to be more organized and put some stuff AWAY were they can't see it. I also started doing a monthly menu planner ! I absolutely love not having to come up with something for dinner every night :) I think I'd be lost if I didn't use it now.

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

I'm so glad that you've been able to get things accomplished! {if only I could motivate my self to look in all those tucked away places and clean!} :P

michelle said...

You have inspired me to be more organized. I am going to look forward to Wednesdays posts. Congratulations for working on a goal, and seeing the difference it makes. :)

crystal said...

I agree with Holly: when I've lost my organizing steam & then I read a post of yours about your ongoing projects, my steam comes back! You've kept me on track. I've been doing organizing purging little by little, here & there and it feels so good! I'm just like you...it's my hidden spaces that are cluttered, and I hate feeling ineffective.

Good going, Michelle! I love the reflective nature of your blog. And I can't WAIT for your Wednesday posts!!!

Jenny said...

You have given me cause to stop and ponder a little bit. All in a positive way. Thanks for such a wonderful post.