Saturday, August 23, 2008

A gift for a friend.



When we left California, our Relief Society President (who happened to be Lynn Gardner, lds author)handed me this book written by Marjorie Pay Hinckley called Small and Simple Things. I was very grateful for her thoughtfulness! When I opened the book the sisters of our ward had signed there thoughts and well wishes regarding our upcoming move and new life on thie inside cover - similar to a yearbook. Not only is this a fantastic book of thoughts by a wonderful women, but it is a remembrance of the people I left behind. I've moved enough to know that I won't communicate with every sister that I had known before moving. Their thoughts in this book remind of their spirit and how they touched my life.
The trick is to enjoy life. Don't wish away your days, waiting for better ones ahead.
~Marjorie Hinckley



The next time a friend or sister in your ward moves, grab your favorite inspirational book, pass it around among your circle of friends and ward members. It is a beautiful gift and one I know will keep and enjoy the rest of my life.

Do you have this book?

16 comments:

Barb said...

That is a good idea for a group good-bye gift. Books as gifts are always more meaningful with an inscription.

Jan said...

What a thoughtful group of friends. I love things like that. I have that book right beside me along with Pres. Hinckleys One Hope. I love them both so dearly.

dani said...

michelle, that is such a treasure... at church we have a missions circle. we do something similar; we purchase a keepsake box with a print of the church on top and fill it with little notes from each of us...
love,
dani

Elise said...

Hi Michelle

Such a thoughtful gift for you to treasure.

It is beautiful to have handwritten messages from the sisters of your ward. This is a wonderful personalised present that you will always have to remind you these special people.

Lots of love and hugs
Elise

linda said...

This is such a wonderful idea for a good-bye gift. I'll have to remember it for future reference!

SuzanSayz said...

What a sweet, loving and thoughtful gift from your ward sisters. You know there are all kinds of gifts in the world; from expensive cars, jewelry,exotic trips, to a wilted little flower your three year old brings you with a bright smile on their face. The big gifts can be quite wonderful I'm sure, but the sweet gift of love symbolized by that little, wilted, flower, is a gift that shoots straight to your heart. That would be the catagory your book fits into for sure!

Jennfer said...

Consider this idea stolen! I love this idea Michelle. I'm so happy you have it to treasure forever!
You are loved.

Holly said...

What a wonderful keepsake, not only for the message but for the signed memories from friends. Sweet!

Cristin said...

We also have this tradition in our ward...(I think it is such a sweet send-off -- a little love from each sister.)
...and what a fun surprise for you (each time you open the book) to find their love, thoughts and well wishes right there for you to see!

Wendi said...

What a sweet idea! thanks for sharing!

Munchkins and Music said...

This is a really good idea! I like it.

Chrissy, said...

That was so thoughtful.I love this book what a great idea!

Marie said...

I'm happy to be back and blogging again. Hello, my friend. I've missed you.

I appreciated the quote from Marjorie Hinckley. So true.

And I completly LOVE the picture of your girls on the sidebar. Perfection.

crystal said...

This is such a lovely idea! I'm going to snap it up. I love the quote you included by Sister Hinckley--it feels as if you posted it just for me :)

Bren's Life said...

AWhat a Great idea! Yes I have read this book. I love it..

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

that's a good idea! When the CES missionaries leave we do something similar for them.