Thursday, September 6, 2007

Backpack talk time.


In hopes of getting through the teenage years with two girls, I have been thinking a lot about what I can do now to help all of us through those sometimes interesting years. I only say this, because I was a teenager once and I remember holding all my feelings in, rather than talking to my mom about it. I just didn't quite feel comfortable telling her, she always had to draw it out of me - if that was possible!

I have been feeling a push to get my girls to open up more to me and talk to me, rather than me pushing them for questions. After much thought, I finally received some inspiration I know will at least help my girls to open up to me more and talk about their day. I found these backpacks for $4.94 each at Walmart. They seem to be good quality and for the price, it was worth buying each of them two backpacks. The first pack I use for their school and the 2nd I use for "Talk time". After school and until Craig comes home, we've asked them to tell us about their day, or as much as they can remember. If they say "I don't remember", I will ask them some questions to get them going and thinking:


What did you learn today?
How was lunch?
Who did you play with at recess?
Was there anytime during the day you were sad? Why? What happened?
Did you write? What did you write?
and so on...

When Craig comes home they are supposed to tell him about their day again. The questions I've asked earlier in the day, help them to tell about their time at school. If they are open about their day and honest about what they've said, then they get to pick a surprise out of the backpack's above. Each of my daughters has her own talk time backpack complete with $1 store items that I know they like. My hope is that we won't need to give them a "reward" to talk to us, and will slowly make the days after a reward into 2, 3, 4 and so on. For now, it's a daily reward. The best thing about it is that it's worked.


Did you feel comfortable talking to your mom?
What do you do to encourage open communication with your children?
Distance goal: I ran 4 miles last night and 2 this morning. Now that the girls are in school I can transfer my excercising to the day instead of late at night!

9 comments:

Holly said...

What a creative idea! I'm sure it will develop a habit of talking about their days, experiences and feelings. This will be invaluable when they get older!

Congrats on your running!! Getting back out there feels great I'm sure.

Marie said...

You are such a proactive parent. I wish I thought long term more often. I think the backpacks are a great idea. I want my kids to talk to me too. I really want them to always feel comforable with me, and know that they will always be loved.

donna said...

What a great idea. You are such a great mom!!!


Way to go on your running girl :)

jenny said...

I love the backpack idea...totally worth buying two at that price! I think it's so important to talk with our kids and know what is going on in their lives. I often am running around so much after school I tend to forget sometimes to stop and ask specifics. We do sit down with them each Sunday to talk about the upcoming week, problems, etc.

Growing up my mom was almost like a friend to me. I think it was good and bad. Bad because she knew and would speak to my friends on the phone. That bugged! We did have our fights now and again.

Good job running!! I walked 4 miles with the jogger today myself :)

p.s. What happened with the passports?

Lauralee said...

awesome idea about the backpacks and rewards.. I am sure that will get them talking.. I wasn't too typical a teen and loved talking to my parents.. I told them about everything..
with my kids.. I just try not to be too shocked, or mad about anything they tell me.. I can hold a pretty even face.. with touchy subjects I always let them know I am so glad they told me and that they should always tell me.. I don't always like it.. but I let them know it is safe to tell me.. ANYTHING..

I love how in tune you are with your girls.. they are lucky to have you as their mom!

Wendi said...

Just linked over to you from Migue. That was an awesome post! I never felt comfortable talking to my mom, and this is something I've thought of a lot. I want to be a good mom, but don't always know how to do it. I love this idea! My kids are pretty open and thet love to talk about their day, but I know that won't always be the case. Thanks for sharing your ideas. I'll take any help I can get when it comes to parenting. Love your blog! I'll be sure to check back again!

Mique (as in Mickey) said...

Love this idea and love the backpacks! You are always so good at coming up with mommy ideas- your girls are so lucky!

carlo said...

oh the mom of girls...you are after my own heart! :) love your idea and that is wonderful that you are looking ahead.

i am terrified of the teenage years and today is cassie's 10th. EEKKKKKK!!!!!!! inching closer every day. and 10 these days doesn't seem to be the same as my 1oth.

talk time is so crucial! i couldn't agree more. today as part of her bday we are going to a movie and dessert, just the two of us.

carlo said...

oh and GOOD JOB on the running! woowoo!!!!