Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Crochet Flower Instructions.


The following post includes directions for the crochet flowers I've created. The pattern is completely my own! I am not an aficionado on crocheting, just simply, someone who likes to crochet. This said, my patterns may not be completely accurate, simply because of my lack in pattern-making experience.

Please link back to my crochet website here, if you will be using them on your blog or website. If you need to email me, I've included my email address in my profile! Enjoy!



Choosing your yarn.
I started crocheting these flowers with acrylic yarn, however, I switched to a 100% cotton yarn because of the quality and texture it produced on the finished product. Bernat Handicrafter Yarn is my first choice, however, their color selection is more pastel. Feel free to switch-up the center texture with the petal texture. Red Heart Yarns have a good selection of richer, darker colors.

Crochet Needle
I normally use a mid-size 5. mm to small 3.mm I don't want the tension on the flowers to be too tight or too loose and these sized hooks allow me to gauge the tension more easily.

Choosing your colors
My flowers always have two colors, the center with one color and the petals for another. My last choice of colors were pink and brown, but you choose your own colors that fit your style!


To crochet your own garden you will need the following:


1 crochet needle hook 5.0mm
2 colors of yarn
1 pair of scissors
and a little patience!





Step 1:Make a Slip Knot in the color you've chosen for the center of your flower.










Step 2:Chain 4 and slip stitch in beginning chain to form a ring.










Step 3:Work 11 single chains around ring continuously, placing the crochet hook on top most loop around circle.











Step 4:
Single chain around 14 more times using the bottom loop around circle as per photo. This allows you to make the center raised from the petals.









Finished example of center of flower.














Step 5:
Slip stitch yellow yarn through blue yarn loop and pull blue yarn over the yellow. Make sure to secure both through the entire first petal process to ensure tension. Cut blue yarn after first petal is complete. Continue with yellow yarn for petals.











Step 6:
From first yellow loop chain four upward.











Step 7:
In second chain from hook and in next two chains (3 in all) Half DC (Yarn over hook and insert hook into chain, yarn over hook, pull yarn through chain, yarn over and pull through all three loops on hook - repeat two more times.







Step 8:Slip stitch petal into next chain on the blue circle. Repeat step 7 six more times.











Step 9:
Slip stitch the 7th petal into last remaining chain before start of first petal. If there are two chains left after all 7 petals are completed, skip chain, and slip stitch in last chain on circle.









Step 10:
Cut the yellow yarn and feed the end through the loops pulling it until tight. (btw - this was a hard photo to take!)






Step 11:
Turn flower over and knot both yellow yarn remnants together and then the blue remnant to the two yellow. Trim remaining yarn and poke remnants into the chains on the back of the flower.






This is what the final product should look like. My flowers rarely turn out exactly the same, as my tension may be less or more, or my center is flatter or raised more.






Happy Crocheting!


**I pushed the "publish post" button instead of the "save now" button and published it before I had fully edited it. If you see this post change, it's only to make the instructions better for you! Thank yoU!

5 comments:

sista # 2 said...

I admire your talent and love the pattern! So cute. The closest thing I do with a needle is counted cross stitch! ciao

Marie said...

Those really are beautiful. You are so talented!

Amanda :-) said...

These would be brilliant to make for our Christmas fair at church - but I'm so pathetic with sewing things. I might have a stab (pardon the pun - crochet needles and all!) at it, but I'll probably end up in an absolute tangle-athon!

Lovely of you to put a post together of how you do it though. There's some work gone into all that.

Rebekah said...

Those are great instructions. The pictures will be a big help!

Laura's Left Hook said...

Thanks for the photos. I may have to try out this flower. I have been going in and out of flower patterns recently, in between other projects.