Tuesday, September 25, 2007

My Word: Birth


I did not think that picking one word to summarize my goals and thoughts for the year would be so healing. I guess it took the chance of "winning" something on Kristi's post here to encourage me to pick a word! I find that feelings cannot be reiterated several times, as they loose meaning, and the speaker of the feelings often tries to reason their answer - if it's spoken more than once. In an attempt to preserve my original feelings about my word I've copied my comments regarding my word of the year choice into this post:

I haven't picked a word yet, so here it is: birth. Why? My life is centered around this topic for many reasons this year. The first reason centers around my infertility struggles. We are unable to adopt because of our ex patriot status, so we decided to try fertility treatments, and like so many others are dealing with staying hopeful during this often depressing times. The word birth brings so many wonderful thoughts of newness, gift, blessings and it gives me hope. The second reason centers around my two girls who were adopted in 2002(mistype -2003!). They are struggling with attachment issues which could have been fixed by being cared for properly at their birth to the time we adopted them. The word birth, reminds me that I am their mom, and I was meant to help them through these struggles, give birth to their insecurities and help feel comforted and loved. Typing this is really healing.


I am finding it hard right now to elaborate more on my year's word! I keep thinking of all the things I need to do today. I don't want to ensue a pity party! Birth is a word of hope and joy and I am comforted that if the fertility treatments work or not - that I am still a mother to two beautiful girls! Thank you to Mique for sending the necklace and Kristi for inspiring all of us to choose our word of the year.

13 comments:

Marie said...

Beautiful thoughts, beautiful words, from my beautiful friend.

Wendi said...

That was very sweet. Your girls are very lucky to have a mommy who wants them and loves them so much.

Jill said...

I think this is a great word for the year and I love all your reasons for choosing it. This choosing-a-word concept is fabulous and so personal.

Lauralee said...

HUGS! I hope it gets better..when I am struggling with something that is how I think.. it HAS to get better.. my heart goes out to you..I have told you before, I have a sister who struggles very similiarly to you.. and I feel your pain.. Hugs

jenny said...

I think that your word is beautiful and has so many meanings not only for you but for all of us. Thanks for sharing!

Holly said...

What a special word with many levels of meaning. I'm glad typing through your thoughts helped--and I am touched by them also.

Mique (as in Mickey) said...

p.s.s. Lovin' the new look!

donna said...

Thanks for such a beautiful post!!!!

Elizabeth said...

That is a great word. Thank you for sharing what it means to you.

crystal said...

Did you win the stamped tag necklace! Yay for you! I'm totally going to order one for myself.

I LOVE your word--Birth. I love how you've molded that to fit how we work as mothers giving life to what is best inside our kids. You're very in tune to know what your girls need from you; how lucky they are to have you for their mommy! Adoption is the purest form of mothering a child.

michelle said...

I love the word you have chosen. You are the best Mommy! Your girls are so blessed to have you.

Michelle Lindsay said...

Crystal - No! I didn't win - I wish, the thought of winning motivated me to pick a word and that's how that post was written!

Noriane said...

Michelle! I'm so glad we've found each other again! I was just thinking about you and your cute daughters the other day and wondering what they looked like now--they're beautiful! I totally recognize E. but V. has changed so much! It's good to see you're doing well and enjoying life in Quebec. Regarding the infertility treatments, boy do I feel your pain. We tried IVF again 2 years ago and not only did it fail, but I had a terrible allergic reaction to the injections this time around, so that was the end of the road for us. Pretty devastating. I hope things turn out well for you guys. I know how painful it is to see your two little girls grow up so fast and not be able to have more... Anyway, I hope we can keep in touch with each other via our blogs!