Thursday, October 4, 2007

Seasonal Mystery.





I am finding that I am truly not good at organizing. Or maybe it's just that I don't know how to put things away and put things away where they go? My mom would agree with my last statement, however I would chalk it up to being busy with other things. I don't feel it necessary to finish all the dishes before I go to bed, or be so strict on cleaning routines that I miss out on something I don't get to do very often - sit and relax. I'm not too concerned about it as I've had many wonderful experiences with my children all on account of not doing the dishes!

Every winter and every end of spring, I put that seasons clothes not suitable for the next into bins. This year I tried the "space bags" which ended being ridiculous as they ripped so easily and didn't store the way they advertised. Because of my lack of organizational ability, it's not surprising that when upon opening these bins and bags, I find piles of our family's winter clothes shoved, not sorted. It's a mystery as to what I put in storage, why, and these questions start to pour through my mind:

Where's the other glove?
Who's coat is this?
I actually wore this last year?
I swear I bought the girls each their own?
Didn't I donate this?

Are these questions sounding familiar, or am I alone? In an ever increasing attempt to improve season transitions, I must come up with a better way of storing and sorting. I am determined and will not persuaded!

What do you do to organize your seasonal clothes?
Do you finish the dishes every night before going to bed?
Do you know what's in your storage?

7 comments:

Lauralee said...

I wish I could leave dishes.. but I can't.. I wish I could walk away from a lot of things and do things I enjoy..but I have a bit of an obsession with cleaning..
seasonal clothes? here in WA.. you can use a jacket almost year round.. I do put snow stuff away.. and shorts away.. I clean out, donate what I think they won't use again, and store the rest.. and yes I am surprised sometimes at what I still have..
have a good one!

donna said...

I also wish i could leave the dishes in the sick. But i just can't . I love having a clean kitchen when i get up in the morning.

I try to organize the seasonal clothes. I need to be batter at it.

Nicole said...

I'm with you. Dishes are not always done when I go to bed. Having a toddler really makes you adapt to their lifestyle; she doesn't always go to bed when she should.
We store items in bins & large bags. You should see my closet. Tim and I spent so much money on this nice organizing unit (it does make a big difference) but there isn't enough space for all of us. It is piled to the ceiling with totes and bags. The nice part is when the season does change we have another wardrobe. (on the lost gloves-try safty pinning them together)-it works for me.

jenny said...

I have always wondered about those space bags. Good to know they aren't very reliable! I actually just put clothes in the back of my closet and switch them out.

Amanda :-) said...

I'm like a hamster in a wheel, trying to keep up with the speed at which the girls are growing out of stuff and trying to judge what they need new: trousers? coat? shoes??

We always go to bed with 'things' arranged next to the sink, and I always regret leaving them in the morning, but I never change my routine (or lack of it).

You are not alone!

Heffalump said...

I need to do the dishes every night, but I don't...so when I get up there they are waiting for me, and I keep procrastinating until my kitchen is so messy I don't even want to cook in it.
We buy winter gloves, hats and etc almost every year, because somehow half of them disappear. One day I am going to find a bunch of them hidden in the walls or something.

michelle said...

I think I could have written this post! :) I do leave dishes in the sink. There are nights that thee are just better things to do! :) I am digging thru winter clothes this morning. We are headed to Utah this afternoon. I don't think I must have been to great at organizng my clothes last year! The fun part about taking winter clothes out is...finding things I had forgotten about! :)