Tuesday, December 11, 2007

SPT - Ornaments: Saving the stump.




Craig and I decided in 1993, our first Christmas as a married couple, that we would make at least one thing for each other every year. On our second year, Craig started a really fun but difficult tradition, when he made this wooden pendant out of our first Christmas tree. He originally made it as a necklace and although I have been known to wear it - I have felt lately that it would be seen more and appreciated more on our tree. The difficult part about this tradition is cutting, saving, and actually making the time to create something out of the stump. The next year I received a flower he carved for me, which sadly I still haven't painted yet, but thanks to Lelly -am now inspired to finish it.

The tradition fizzled through the next Christmas and so on, but was revived when the girls were born. We have the stump of every tree since they were born! Craig is now working on carving them their first ornament to be given to them at Christmas - we hope! My self-portrait was taken late tonight after a very "trying my patience" day. Yikes! Look at that photo - sorry for the view, but this girl is tired!

It started snowing again tonight, isn't it neat when you can look out your window at night and find so much light - check it out!

Have you done Lelly's SPT Challenge?
Is it snowing where you are?
Do you save any part of your Christmas tree.

12 comments:

Chrissy, said...

That is a really neat picture.We are pretty snowy here too!

Melinda said...

THat is a pretty awesome tradition. SO creative. You both are so crafty over there. Your grils will really cherish those ornaments.

Amy said...

Oooh...I love that out your window picture. It exudes peace. And, no, we definitely aren't getting snow in this part of Arizona...though are 46 degree rainy days are nearly my cold limit.

crystal said...

Hahahaha! I had just been thinking how pretty you look in that picture & then I read that you were tired & thrashed after a hard day! You don't look tired, you look gorgeous!

I love that he carves an ornament--what a priceless heirloom.

That window! That snow! That tree! That yard! I have snow-envy.

lelly said...

wow, that is an incredible tradition (and a beautiful ornament.)

snow here? no. no, no, no!! it's a record-breaking 80 degrees here, and i'm feeling quite *bah humbug* about it!!

carlo said...

seriously? he carves an ornament? that is the most lovely thing i have heard all day. how precious!

and the snow at night makes my heart leap! it is the most favorite part of the snow, really.

love your "had enough" face-- i know for a fact that i don't look that great on those days! :)

Heffalump said...

We toyed with the idea of doing something like that once upon a time. We seem to be idea people and not actually doing kind of people though, so we never did, and now we use a fake tree...

donna said...

What a wonderful SPT!

So love the pictures of the snow. Wow How much snow do you have???


The weather man said it is going to snow tonight. I think i am done with SNOW!!!!!

Holly said...

I love the carved ornaments!! What a treasure. So glad the tradtion has been revived and can't wait to hear what the girls think!

Snow? Nope. It's been a muggy 80+ here lately. Frosty would have NO chance.

jenny said...

I wish I had half the craftiness you guys did. Fun traditions.

That photo is very cool!

Barb said...

Wow! That is a wonderful tradition, and one that takes commitment.

Claudissima said...

what a beautiful picture of the tree with the snow outdoors...it looks soo cold, but soo nice from inside... I just love the red in your blog so festive.