Monday, December 3, 2007

The Santa Boot Miracle.


This story has become somewhat of a legend in our home. The person in this story is none other than yours truly. It was my first Christmas with my family after being adopted. I was three and a half and very excited about all the decorating and holiday fun. I was young, but not too young to realize that this Christmas would be a really exciting one for me. The night before Christmas my parents sent us all up to bed with the usual routine and we all hopped in bed ready for the morning to come - now!
I was so excited about the next days events, and presents, and stockings that I could not or would not fall asleep. I would toss and turn for what seemed like hours and hours; and then I would get out of my room cross the hallway to my parents room, knock on the door and ask to come in.

"Is it time yet?" I whispered. I know that my parents thought this was cute the first few times, but after 10 or more, I'm sure their patience with me was wearing thin!

"No, it's not time yet. Go back to bed honey!" they would reply.

I repeated this all night into the early morning, but before I finally fell asleep I remember seeing something that I still won't admit -wasn't real. I got out of bed as usual. I remember it being really late and very quiet. My parents had left the hallway light on and I remember walking out onto our hallway landing. I walked to the stair railing and peaked down below into the hallway on the second floor. The light from the hallway shown on part of the downstairs hallway, but most of it was dark. I remember our advent calender hung in the spot the light was showing. Just as quickly as my eyes viewed the hallway below, I saw the back of a boot and red pant leg. Almost as if Santa himself had been startled by me checking downstairs and had moved quickly into the dark to not be seen.

Now, before everyone says, "Wow this girl is crazy!" just listen to the rest! I remember going back to my bed and falling asleep soon after this experience. That morning I was really really tired and all the Christmas photos taken that day looked like I was about ready to fall asleep! It could have been the way the lights shown or just hat I was really tired; but for whatever reason, I remember this so vividly and have since realized how important this was for me. I felt like I had been shown something special, that nobody else had seen and at a time in my life that I needed the reassurance of what childhood is supposed to be like. That little moment, however odd it sounds to others, changed my life.


My family knows about Santa's boot and it has become kind of a family legend! I share it with my girls and will continue sharing.

3 comments:

crystal said...

I love this story! When I was about 5, I saw Santa's sleigh, twinkling up in the sky far above our house. I know it!

Years later, I had a brief disillusionment that it "might" have been the streetlight reflecting off the rain gutter. But no. It really was the sleigh; that's my story & I'm sticking to it.

I didn't know you were adopted. Adoption is very close to my heart; it's a sacred union. :)

Marie said...

Beautiful, wonderful story. I don't know about your life before you were adopted so I don't know where you were coming from, but the family who found and loved you sound like they blessed you with a wonderful, happy childhood.

Such a great story to tell your girls!

lelly said...

i saw peter pan's shadow at the top of the stair when i was younger. it has always been, and will always BE, one of my most cherished memories!