Friday, May 30, 2008

Walking under a Lion



The lion likes coffee!

This week was the girl's field trip to Parc Safari, a amusement/swimming/safari drive/zoo (kind of an all in one deal) that is about 30 minutes south of Montreal. I was asked to go by the teacher and since I really wasn't doing anything I agreed to take the bus with all the kids and be a chaperon.


At first I wasn't too impressed, as I've never been fond of Safari drives, as I've never seen one in the states done without a bit of tackiness. I find it hard to see elephants behind barbed or electric wire - it just doesn't seem right to me. Anyway, it was perfect for the kids as we drove thought the safari on the bus and let's just say - it was really really loud! They loved all the animals and it was fun seeing them so excited.

The zoo part of the park was interesting as I had never been in a zoo where you are higher than the animals. You walk along a deck and look down to view the animals they have. The monkeys were kept down in their area by electrical wire out of reach of everyone on the bottom part of the deck. I really enjoyed this part, mostly because it was a foreign concept to me to walk over wolves and monkeys and bears!

The best part about the entire thing was the fiberglass tunnel you walked through in the lion and tiger pens. It was very amazing and worth the whole experience to be that close to a lion - wow!


Nini decided that morning that she wasn't going to wear a jacket. The kind of decision that included a roll or two on the floor screaming and crying - basically a tantrum. We were in a hurry so we settled on a long sleeve shirt, assuming that it was going to be warmer than it was. The sweater she is wearing is mine, as when we arrived at the park it was so, so cold. I couldn't have her little self freezing her toosch off - so she warmed up with my sweater. I'm not sure she really learned her lesson about good choices, although, I learned my lesson to not settle next time.

8 comments:

Marie said...

Having a lion perched above you would be super-cool. What a great feild trip.

YOu are a very compassionate mother to let her have your sweater.

jenny said...

That is a bummer about the elephants being behind that fence. It looks like the kids had a blast. And you are one great mom to ride the bus!

Those flowers below are gorgeous!!

Monica M said...

That is cool picture of the lion. Speaking of lion, Jen Astin saw a Mountain lion down by my fence. I am totally freaked out about it. I just hope no one gets hurt. She called the cops and they wouldn't do anything about it. It apparently just got a dog in Draper heights. I just hope it doesn't get my dog.

Melinda said...

THat is the coolest picture of the lion. How bizzare to have them on top of you! I have done the same thing with the jacket. The only back fire I have gotten is dirty looks from other moms that i am a bad mom for not having jackets on all of the kids.

Mandi said...

Looks like they had a fabulous time!!! About 2 years ago we took the girls to Dreamworld on the Gold Coast for a holiday (it was actually the first family holiday we took) Anyway we wanted the little one to be big enough to go on all the rides at the theme parks so we waited for her to grow tall enough!!! So when we finally booked it I decided to book a special "family package" at Dreamworld where you got to spend half an hour with a tiger and the trainers one on one - well it was actually five(us) to two(the trainers) and they had this massive white tiger on this platform (he was actually chained to the platform) and we got to pat him and they told us all about him. Then they fed him milk from a carton so we could get photos with him - IT WAS AMAZING, cost a small fortune but it was SO WORTH IT!!!

On the same trip we went to Seaworld and did the same sort of thing with the dolphins, we got to swim with them and play and touch and WOW it was great!!!

That was such a great holiday!!! Compared to some of the bloggers out there its pretty lame, but for us it was magic.

Heffalump said...

Ah...field trips are always fun...

We are doing okay...just tired and getting used to a new baby...

Elise said...

What a fantastic excursion for everyone. Walking over the animals certainly sounds like a unique experience and would give you a whole new persepctive. Having a tunnel to walk through the lion and tiger pens makes for a really close encounter with these big cats. Sounds like this zoo has come up with some innovative ideas for its visitors.

Love
Elise

Bren's Life said...

That is so neat to see the tigers like that. I've never been to a place like that.